Simon is a commercial barrister. He appears in trials and interlocutory proceedings in the Federal, Supreme and County Courts, and in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal and the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.
Simon has extensive experience in areas including:
• corporations and financial services litigation – including acting for company directors, shareholders, stockbrokers, financial planners, insurers and superannuation trustees;
• corporations and financial services regulation – including acting for companies and individuals facing investigation and enforcement action initiated by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC). He has acted for and advised persons in relation to large-scale ASIC investigations and related proceedings including the Vizard, Westpoint, AWB, Opes Prime, Trio Capital and Bill Express matters;
• insolvency and bankruptcy – particularly on behalf of liquidators, company administrators, receivers and trustees in bankruptcy. He has had extensive involvement in litigation arising from the collapse of a number of large managed investment schemes including Timbercorp, Great Southern, Environinvest, FEA and Willmott Forests;
• banking and finance – particularly on behalf of banks and other financial institutions; and
• a broad range of Corporations Act claims – including oppression actions, derivative actions, statutory demand cases, winding up applications, termination of winding up, examinations by liquidators, asset preservation applications, applications for access to corporate records and applications for security for cost.